Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Monday, July 14, 2008

What is AppleSyncNotifier?

When the iPhone was first released a new file suddenly appeared to everyone who used iTunes. It was called “Apple Mobile Device Service”. You really didn’t need it unless you had an iPhone or an iTouch iPod but that didn’t stop Apple from including it as an Service for all iTunes users.


Now that the iPhone 2.0 is available iTunes is adding a new “MobileMe” file called Apple Sync Notifier. The number one request for PLUS Information from WinPatrol users starting on July 10th has been for AppleSyncNotifier.exe with the title MobleMe.

We’ve added the following tips to the WinPatrol PLUS database.

Applesyncnotifier.exe will be found in your c:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\ folder. This file installs with iTunes and is used when syncing your iPhone, iTouch, iPod, etc.

There may be problems installing Apple Mobile Device Support with iTunes 7.7 under Windows Vista. Error messages in 'AppleMobileDeviceHelper' when trying to sync your phone could result.

Several possible solutions are discussed at
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7576275. We will update WinPatrol PLUS information as it becomes available.

I now realize how Apple plans to sell more Macs. They keep adding more autostart crapware to anyone using iTunes so Windows continues to slow down and look bad. Apple has already been criticized for trying to sneak their Safari browser download into any new iTunes updates. (Yes, they make it an option but when the option is checked by default, I consider it sneaky). They do the same thing with QuickTime.


Anytime you view a QuickTime movie Apple puts a Quicktime Task helper back in your list of Startup programs. WinPatrol users can mark QTTask.exe as “Disabled” and Scotty will automatically remove it from your Startup list anytime it’s added. Just like the iTunesHelper startup program, you can run it manually when needed instead of it running all the time.

You’ll also find iTunes 7.7 adds an updated service called “Bonjour” or nDNSResponder.exe which is set to run automatically. Apple says the following about the Bonjour Service…

“Enables hardware devices and software services to automatically configure themselves on the network and advertise their presence, so that users can discover and use those services without any unnecessary manual setup or administration.”


Top Ten Reasons to Try WinPatrol Again


Labels: , , , , ,

Share on Facebook


12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed. I now don't have iTunes installed on my computer and I will not let it anywhere near it.

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW. just found it.
i am deleting it just to tick them off.

thanx for the heads up

12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's sadly not just Apple that adds unneeded startup stuff and sneaky 'options' to their products. Almost everything I download from the Internet, I have to uncheck the 'Install Google/Yahoo Toolbar' box before installation =(

12:51 AM  
Blogger WardogZ said...

I had enough of all the rubbish itunes and any other apple software installs, so i go with 'real alternative, drivers for video and a little free application called 'poddox' (google it) to transfer files to AND from my PC and ipod.Works great and doesnt install any rubbish.

1:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always Apple is again pushing more and more cr*p ware on us all. This is just one more example of why Apple is as bad or worse than Microsoft or any of the other big software companies.

Quick time especially is the scourge of the software world. Without WinPatrol it's impossible to keep it from being an auto-start program.

WinPatrol is worth installing just to keep Quicktime under control.

So wake up people Apple truly wants to be another Microsoft and is just as bad about forcing junk on us all the rest of the big software companies.

So wake up people and take control of your computer by installing WinPatrol and saying "NO" to forced junk autostart files and programs.

3:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I went into that bin folder and ripped the crap out of it! I also have that bonjour piece of crap permanently disabled. Damn Apple, I almost bought one and because of their iTunes and Quicktime antics, I doubt I will now...

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is interesting the, the strongly divided camps, Microsoft/Apple. As foozlesprite said, many 3rd party softwares are bundled with extra stuff that you have to be careful to "uncheck" if you don't want the extra.
About the Microsoft/Apple division, my company is strictly PC/Windows and I have two computers in that enviornment. At home I have two Apple systems and my 2 sons families have 5 Apples systems between them. I spend (we spend) less time keeping the 7 Apples systems running than I do for the 2 PCs. Apples are not perfect, but they sure do save me a lot of extra headaches.

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew about the Bonjour install, but not about the AppleSyncNotifier. I work in a computer repair shop, and we've been automatically installing Quicktime/iTunes whenever we reformat PCs. Maybe it's time to rethink that.

DDButton has a point about Macs being less of a headache to use, but I can't get over the fact that they cost so much more to buy (you can expect to pay half again or double what you would for a PC with similar hardware specs), and the fact that even now very few companies write software for Macs.

I just don't see giving up the huge software library available for PCs and the lower hardware expenses as being a good trade, even for the relative security of a Mac. It's not an even trade.

If I wanted low availability of software and high security, I'd run Linux. That uses standard PC hardware more efficiently than Windows or Mac OS, is much less vulnerable to malware than Mac OS, and many versions cost nothing to download and install. Ubuntu Linux even installs simply and quickly, and configures automatically. Suck on that, Apple.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Rainbow_722 said...

I own both a mac & a pc...there is MORE cr*pware on the pc...the little bit of apple stuff is being blown out of proportion here, which usually comes from not knowing the whole story.

Anonymous, have you checked to see if there is the software you use is available for the mac, or are you just spouting off numbers you have heard--there is a list of software available for the mac on apple's website--check it out. Most of the really great software, like adobe, started on the mac and just went to windows when gates started off charging less for it--and looked what happened to that! While you're there, check the prices too...a little more, but you get what you pay for. Long gone are the days when apple charged hellishly high prices for their systems--and the cost of the system includes some great software, including the operating system that is usually extra costs in a pc plus apples great appleworks, iphoto, etc. Take a look. Oh, and when you do need to buy a new operating system it is not nearly as expensive as windows, and you can buy it for more than one mac easily and less expensive than a copy for each of your pcs.

The useability of a mac is also a factor in what must be considered the price. I am using a 10 yr old mac system writing this post--it is a 400Mhz system and still does everything, although a bit slower...my pc is in the shop AGAIN. I have never had to open the mac except for cleaning, adding an extra hard drive and adding memory. I keep it on 24 hrs a day. My pc has already gone thru 4 video cards and a new motherboard so far in 4 years.

If you are not buying an apple over this little thing blown out of proportion, you are simply doing the old "cut off your nose to spite your face." Check out all the facts first.

iTunes is one of the best programs out there, if there is a problem with what it is doing, you would be better to fire off an email (NOT FLAME) to apple telling them about it--if they had enough emails about it they would probably consider changing it, but they don't scan the web looking for unhappy people.

As with anything the purchase of a computer requires a long close look at all sides of the question. Me? I am saving my money for a new mac or two--and I am a computer information systems grad.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well said! The only thing I would add is if you are actually "stuck" on your windows software your Intel Macs will run it. Although I fail to see why you would want to put windows on a Mac.

I have been using computers for longer than I care it admit. I bought a Mac when they were very expensive and only went back to windows because everyone else used them.

I have two PC's that are "working" in my house now and 3 that are doorstops. I just can't bring myself to throw those pricy doorstops away (smile). Is a Mac STILL too expensive?

I'm now planning to buy another Mac. Please don't get me wrong, I love tinkering with my computers, and I know there might be some things I keep this one for.

Count the computers I listed above though and know that the last Mac I owned was an old SE30 with a color monitor piggybacked on it. That machine was 12 years old and had been in the shop once...to replace the battery.

All companies seem to drop this kind of software on us. I seem to remember the newest version of Explorer being set to do things I didn't want as well.

Use the machine that lets you do the things you want. There is plenty of market share to go around.

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I "accidently" installed iTunes on my PC. When I decided to take it off again, I had to use "REVO-UNINSTALLER". Revo found more than 600 (SIX HUNDRED !!!) Files and registry entries related to iTunes ...
Thanks Apple !

3:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this information!

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home