Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Thursday, April 09, 2009

Dear Apple, We Don't Want Safari

Have you downloaded and installed Safari?
Would you use it?

Apple has used an interesting approach to market their Safari browser for Windows users.  The folks in Cupertino realized that plenty of Windows users had iTunes. I guess they figured Windows users aren’t too bright so maybe they could trick them into downloading Safari and they would start using it without noticing.


Updating iTunes


I’m not a big fan of autoupdate programs. I’ve written before about annoying updates form Google, Adobe, AOL and Apple. My point today is even with all these efforts Safari still hasn’t made any impact on the browser market.  According to my recent web stats, Safari only has 3.5%.  That includes Mac users!


But my setting is not to be updated?
Wait a Minute?
I have my settings set to NEVER!!!


Someone needs to tell Apple that Windows users aren’t stupid. They’ve tried to force Safari on folks for a couple years and it’s just not working. If they really want to enter the browser war they need a new approach.  Maybe we need some commercials with “I’m on a Safari” vs “I’m an Explorer”.


 


 


 

Labels: , ,

Share on Facebook


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here here!

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And they also include MobileMe... a -subscription- service ...more software burdening our systems. I just use iTunes occasionally... don't even have an iPod/phone. So I got the iPod helper service anyway... and every update I have to UNcheck Safari and MobileMe. What else?!

Everyone wants to put more sh*tuff on our computers... Just Say NO!
-RR

5:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree! That's ridiculous default to unchecked then if I wanted it then I would have checked it... Sorry tactic Jobs.

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home