Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Friday, January 29, 2010

Great 99 Cent Software Experiment Initial Results

Many of you have been patiently waiting to hear how my Great 99 Cent Software Experiment is going. It’s probably no surprise that most folks seem pretty happy with the concept. I have some good and bad results to report so far.

It appears obvious that people like the idea of software for 99 cents. Some people will spent 99 cent even if they don’t know what they’re buying. Many of our new customers had never heard of WinPatrol. I’ve had many comments like Mark who said, “This is great. I can’t believe I’ve never heard of WinPatrol. Thank you LifeHacker for making me aware of this great software”.

The bad results is due to my under estimating the popularity of this offer. Normally I would be able to handle the support for thousands of new users. WinPatrol is easy to use and understand so my support Email is usually simple. Unfortunately, a failure in the step that creates PLUS codes has increased my Email today.

When folks purchase the PLUS upgrade it’s via a 3rd party storefront or PayPal which can easily handle the traffic. At the completion of the order they’re sent back to WinPatrol.com where we create a PLUS activation code. Unfortunately, this is the point where our web traffic is backed up.

If you’ve purchased WinPatrol PLUS but didn’t get your PLUS code just Email support@WinPatrol.com. I’m working as quickly as possible to make sure everyone receives their PLUS code so they can activate WinPatrol PLUS.

As I mentioned, many of our new fans have never used WinPatrol. If they haven’t already, they also need to download the free version of WinPatrol. This process also uses up some of our web traffic so I’ve been recommending alternate download sites like Download.com or
SoftPedia. Users can download the free version of WinPatrol from other sites but get their activation code from WinPatrol.com.

So, it looks like I’ll be busy responding to Emails for a long while. If for some reason I hear that folks who weren’t able to purchase Plus today, I will extent the experiment an additional day.

Note, support@winpatrol.com gets priority to replies to comments on the blog. So if you have a critical question it should be sent via Email.

Share on Facebook


8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bill, thanks for the 99c experiment. As you mentioned many of the new subscribers had never heard of WinPatrol until this experiment. Well, I was one of those people! Now I am enjoying knowing exactly what is happening on my PC. Thanks once again.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Hi Bill, Just thought I would let you know today at approx. 2pm ET I purchased my 4 with really no problems to speak of. The only thing was slow as you mentioned, but I had the time so it didn't bother me.

I read some of the comments on your other post and some tweets. Some are confused about a multiple purchase.

They don't understand that they don't need a separate activation code unless they plan on giving WinPatrol plus as a gift, or just want another code.

From my understanding of what I READ, my one code will work for all 4 of my purchases, on 4 different boxes.

Anyway...thanks for this offer. Like some I wouldn't have been able to get plus without your generosity.

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Uncle Bill...

Last week a nasty UPS Trojan snuck in my back door. Was really a foul one it was, an chewed up my MBR and broke up all my Windows partitions. It left my place in such a mess and now I can't find my little Scotty no-wheres.

I really missed his little bark so I came by to see if you had another, and you did! You even had them on sale with a PLUS pedigree for only 99 cents!

I couldn't help myself, I jus hadda have two.

My wife and I are over seventy and trying to have a life on one o' them teenie disability incomes. Sure, a pair of Scotties ain't much but some SSD snoop might see em and think we're trying to live too high an' mighty. Y'know how tight jawed them Poverty Police can get! They might take our $12 food stamp coupon back fer showin' such a huge disposable income.

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My only "gripe" about this experiment was that I felt like there was little notice about it. When word of it was included in a newsletter I received, I'm guessing the presumption was that I'd read the newsletter "that day", but some days I don't get to my email until the weekend. I'm glad the offer was extended another day; I took advantage of it and I spread the word to my friends.

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Mike said...

Hi Bill, Thanks for offering your WinPatrol Plus at this incredible price. I've used your free version for several years and really like it. I've contacted some of my friends, telling them how good your program was and its uses. Word of mouth spreads fast. They told me they were going to order it also. Sounds like it was a big success by the number of orders you received. Hopefully this experiment has a lot more people now knowing about WinPatrol. Thanks again Bill

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got an impulse buy here. I didn't know enough about WinPatrol to invest $30... but at a buck it was worth taking for an extended spin. Not sure it does a lot more than some of the other security software I have on my system, but it is easy to use, accessible, and has a small footprint.

9:40 AM  
Blogger LG said...

I just wonder if I'm the only person still waiting for a response to my support email after 35 hours

9:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ed,
I'm sad to say I haven't been able to respond to everyone as quickly as normal but I'm getting there.
Folks who did not receive their codes have had priority.

I suspect I just saw your request in the Email queue so you should have your answer. If not send me a note and it will be taken care of.

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home